Eleanor Roosevelt College, UCSD
San Diego, California, 2003
One of several residential colleges at the University of California, San Diego, Eleanor Roosevelt College (ERC) had been dispersed throughout the university; this project consolidates the college into a ‘campus within a campus’. Located on 4.5 hectares (11 acres) overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the Salk Institute of Biological Studies, the campus is the largest capital project in the history of UCSD. The college deploys new building typologies and landscape areas in an array of spaces, including residence halls, apartments, dining and meeting facilities, academic offices, computer labs, a five-level parking garage for 1000 cars and an International House. The west side of ERC is organized around a campus green – an expanse of lawn intended as the school’s main outdoor congregating area, anchored on the north by the dining hall and flanked by residence halls and apartments. On the east side of the campus, a promenade – the principal pedestrian spine – is similarly bordered by housing and is partially roofed by bridges containing apartments. This portion of the campus culminates in the great hall of the International House at the south end and, at the north end, the provost complex, which includes offices and classrooms. Accommodating 450 students in residence halls and 740 students in apartments, ERC provides a variety of unit types, including flats and town houses. These buildings have a wood-framed structure that has been engineered to be earthquake resistant. The exterior skin is a traditional three-coat stucco cladding that is relieved with control joints at metal bands. Appropriate to the Southern California climate, the upper-level apartments enjoy roof terraces with ocean views; the lower levels feature sunken gardens, communal courtyards and pedestrian streets.
Project Type: Academic
Client: University of California
Cost: $80 million
Associate Architect - Safdie Rabines Architects