Harvard Business School, Morgan Hall
Boston, Massachusetts, 1992
One of the key components of the Safdie designed master plan was the renovation and expansion of Morgan Hall, designed in 1928 by McKim, Mead and White. Research into office usage and layouts led to an innovative design of interlocking, L-shaped offices, tested in a full-scale, fully furnished mock-up. The main facade and two side walls of the brick building were restored and an additional floor, shown in the original plans, but never realized, was built. To the south, the L-shaped building was extended to become rectangular in plan. Morgan Hall now accommodates 164 faculty offices and work areas for an equal number of research assistants and support staff. The building is orientated around a central atrium with lightwells running the length of the structure. The focal point of the atrium is a fourth-century Roman mosaic floor portraying the sea goddess Tethys. At the top of the ligthwells, mirrors on a computerized tracking system direct sunlight into the interior.
Project Type: Academic
Client: Harvard Business School
Cost: $25 million